- About Quantrix
- Product Overview
- Quantrix Modeler
- The Quantrix Qloud
- In-Memory Analytics
- Enterprise Integration
- Sample Screenshots
- Customer Success
- Planning Models
- Montaña Associates Khoste
- Power Market Consulting
- Far Bank Enterprises
- Logistics Capital & Strategy
- Quantrix Development Kit Case Study
- Education Corporation of America
- Sammo Energy
- Merrill Lynch
- Gartner Lee
- Citrix Online
- Sample Models
- Learning Overview
- Video Demos
- Webinar Series
- Quick Guide
- Online Help
- Modeler Notes
- Mortgage Modification Modeler Note
- Election Tax Model
- Marketing Response Curve Model
- Pivoting Data
- Quantrix in Corporate Budgeting
- Using Expressions in Quantrix
- Performing a Sales Analysis
- Indirect() w/Capex & Depreciation
- Analyzing ARM vs. Fixed Mortgages
- Integrated Financials Models
- Leveraging the @ and # Operators
- Using Circular References
- Converting Spreadsheets to Quantrix
- Using Functions with Black-Scholes
- Using Statistical Functions
- Using Quantrix in Capital Budgeting
- Working with Scenario Categories
Lesson One: Creating a Matrix, Adding Categories and Items
When you first approach the design of a new model, it is important to consider your goal or the business understanding you seek (see Quantrix Modeling Methodology) . In this case our objective is to design a forecast model for projected sales and cost for the next two years. The first matrix will calculate the unit sales for the products: Widgets, Gadgets, Whatsits and Whosits.
Step 1. Create a new Quantrix file
Select File > New
Step 2. Name the Matrix In the Model Browser (small screen at upper left), click the name "Matrix 1" and rename it "Sales Projections"
Step 3. Name the column category tile In the "Sales Projections matrix," click the category tile in the upper right (see illustration 1.1) and rename it "Quarter"
Step 4. Add the items for the "Quarter" category Click the item cell (see illustration 1.1) and rename it "Quarter 1." While the item is still highlighted, hit ENTER 2 times to add "Quarter 2". Keep pressing ENTER until you have added through Quarter 5. Rename “Quarter 5” to “YTD”.
Step 5. Name the row category tile Click the category tile in the lower left (see illustration 1.1) and type "Type"
Step 6. Add the items for the "Type" category Click the item cell (see illustration 1.1) and rename it "Widgets." While the item is still highlighted, hit ENTER 2 times. Name this item "Gadgets". Repeat for "Whosits", "Whatsits" and "Total".
Step 7. Under "Quarter1", add data to the cells. Click in each cell and add the following numbers - Widgets: 12 Gadgets: 23 Whatsits: 34 Whosits: 45
Step 8.File > Save
Save your file. Use the "save" icon or click and name your Quantrix Model file "Widgets". The file name will be "Widgets.model". Your matrix should now look like the following.
>> Lesson Two: SUM & SKIP